Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Keeping crafty...

We tried to enjoy the decent weather this weekend. It was in the 40's, so it was a little chilly, but not to bad. I had gotten some clay pots and some paints, so the kids could have some crafts to do.

Actually, I wanted to keep them busy while I was painting GBs dresser. This dresser has been around, it was in Rick's bedroom when he was growing up (painted a lovely shade of advacado green). We painted it beige and dark green and used it for the past few years, but since GB has wanted a racecar room I decided to paint it again. I painted it a bright, shiny cherry red and added new handles so it looks like a toolbox. The handles are just a length of pipe I got in the plumbing section of Home Depot (another of my favorite stores) and Rick made some brackets to fit the pipe. He used 1X2 and drilled a 5/8-inch hole. It worked very well. The boy thinks it is very cool.

I also covered his headboard; he already had a wood headboard we had gotten from a neighbor. I just covered it in foam and batting, then stapled flame fabric on it. Very easy, very cute. In the picture you can see the shelf I made last week. It is just a 1X3 with 1/4 round trim. I painted it white then used 2" tape every 2", then spray painted it black -hence the checker board pattern. I left the top of the shelf solid black and put on little white lines so it looks like a road. It is perfect for his cars. My favorite comment the boy made was when I had put all of his cars on the shelf and he looked at me and said "Look at all the traffic!!". Too funny.

4 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh neat! I like the tool box dresser very much -- in fact when I saw the pic I thought "what a neat tool box" and didn't realize it was a dresser until I read on! :-D

kim

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger tracy said...

I can't take to much credit, I just saw a pic on some website and copied it. I will try and find a "before" pic.

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the toolbox dresser. To think what Pottery Barn would charge for something like that!!

The headboard is also a cute and easy project. Did you use fleece to cover it? I think my nephew has a hat he made using that pattern in fleece.

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger tracy said...

Just cotton. A Wal-mart special!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home