Thursday, March 16, 2006

We have survived....

...our first emergency room visit!!

(note to dad Hansen: don't panic everything turned out just fine, read with caution)

This past Sunday, GB fell over in his chair (insert annoying parenting voice: "How many times have I told you NOT to lean back in your chair!!??!!"). He probably would have been fine if his skateboard wasn't lying in the middle of the floor (again: "How many times have I told you to pick up your toys??!!??). So his head hit the edge of his skateboard and he got a small cut. The only thing with a small cut is you don't realize how small the cut is because of the amount of blood. (Insert Monty Python voice: "It's just a flesh wound!") Of course I wasn't in the room when this happened, so I walk calmly (reality check: fly into the room almost breaking the door in the process) into the room to find a screaming child with blood dripping off his head. I do believe that a mother can perform amazing acts of strength when her child is hurt (insert line from The Incredible Hulk "I was lifting up the car!!") I scoop him up and carry him upstairs and try to calm him down so I can assess the damage, of course he won't let me get near him. I figure with the amount of blood and the way he is screaming it has to be terrible. So I drop DQ off at a friends house and take the boy to the emergency room. Rick was at work so I was keeping him informed (I have a love/hate relationship with cell phones, that day it was a love thing). Of course by the time we get to the ER the bleeding has stopped and the boy has calmed down. But since we are there I figure the doctor can at least take a look. All of the nurses thought that GB was adorable, he kept telling everyone his life story and how brave he is. Truly he was very brave (I on the other hand was calm on the outside and a basket case on the inside). Once the doctor (Has anyone noticed how much younger they're getting?) cleaned the wound we could see how tiny it was. It did require 1 staple, but they didn't even need to numb the area first. Kind of anticlimatical (is that a word?), although I am very glad that things were not worse. Through it all the boy was wonderful, talking up a storm and telling everyone about the new hole in his head(insert laugh track). He was very excited to get his own pair of "doctor (latex) gloves" and a hospital bracelet. He definitely had the best "show and tell" at school the next day!! When we got home I was completely exhausted so we all took a nap (reality check: the kids watched a movie while I laid down. One of the many bad parenting skills I have picked up over the years.) So, all in all things worked out, we have a new story to add to our list, the boy learned he was very brave, and well, I hope we never have to do that again.

2 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say, that is probably one of the best/happiest ER trip stories I've ever read! If you're going to do it, that's the way to do it! Good for your brave boy! And for you, remaining calm on the outside, since that's what people see. LOL!

On the napping - I did something similar today, only I sent the kids to do math (crazy homeschooled kids like it) while I napped with the baby on the couch.

Oh, and YES on the young doctors - I just had some testing done and kept thinking, "I think i'm older than this doctor!" - sort of scary. And I'm noticing that many of them have children younger than my oldest, although I guess I could attribute that to the years and years and years of med school delaying them, and *pretend* I'm younger than they are.

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew! I'm glad that came out all right!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home