Friday, April 25, 2008

2 wheelin'

The boy has been happily riding around with his training wheels, not showing any interest in his "big bike". (Yes, he is the lucky owner of 2 bikes only because I found a cool "big bike" at a yard sale for $5.) Since the weather has been nice I have noticed him watching the older boys in the neighborhood on their 2 wheelers. It is pretty cute to see him try to mimic the older boys, he makes motor sounds while peddling and he "screeches" to a stop. A couple of weeks ago the boy said to Rick that he was going out to ride his 2 wheeler, we didn't make a big deal out of it just said have fun. About 20 minutes later, Rick looks out the window and sees the boy riding down the road, by himself, doing just fine on his 2 wheeler. (We have a dead end road in the back of the house, so it is safe.) He just did it! It was pretty cool and the boy was so proud of himself.

3 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool! When we finally decided it was time for Fred to lose his training wheels it was OK, for the most part (he was way way too big for the bike and could easily put his feet down). The *real* trauma came when we moved him to a larger bike size the following summer (and we went from a 16" to a 20" wheel...so we were still talking 'kids' size bike). Oh...the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Poor boy came tearing into the house crying "Poppa is being MEAN to me", since he'd hung the tiny bike (which Fred really couldn't begin to fit and pedal any more) from the garage rafters. He figured it out within a few weeks and all four of them terrorized the sidewalks happily.

Cool for the boy! Happy riding!

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Lainie said...

How fun is that?
I'd've loved to have seen that myself. The boy is so good at joyful :) I'm really happy for him. Last time you were here, the boy used to stop at every crack in the street! Biking was so new to him. He would race the girl, and she would let him win. It was wonderful.
For me, it was hard-headed determination and almost an entire morning, the summer I turned 9 (Yes. NINE!), that finally got me rolling. After that, Nita and I were all over town. It was a safer time.
To this day, I LUUUV biking. I have an amazing Trek.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Carolyn Hansen said...

Lainie was nine and I was . . . oh wait. That never happened for me. That's right. I'm an old lady who's never ridden a bike.

You can tell the boy. And he can laugh laugh laugh at me.

(It still hurts a little.)

Congratulate him for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home