Monday, February 25, 2008

Per request

Actually I am feeling a little gloomy right now. Had a talk with the school psychologist today, seems the boy isn't showing a lot of improvement is school. Academics are fine, actually reading and math are above average, but there are some behavior issues. There is a lot of clumsiness and when he gets frustrated he just shuts down and will not talk or anything. We have been working with his teacher and tried some things, but there just isn't a lot of improvement over the past few months. The psychologist used the word Aspergers. It freaks me out when things start getting labeled. There are a few other things that we are trying before we even discuss the screening process. He is going to be starting Occupational Therapy in the next few weeks to help him with his writing and fine motor skills. And we are trying to get started with Physical Therapy to help him with his coordination. Hopefully that will start within the next month. The school has some great programs in place for OT and PT. We will see how things go.

The psychologist and I also discussed the girl. She has been accepted in the gifted program. On the standardized testing she came back in the 99 percentile. I just need to meet with the gifted teacher to discuss what is involved with the program. But the girl seems to be excited.

I usually try to keep my posts happy and I don't write about "heavy" things, mostly because I don't feel like I can put my thoughts and feelings into words (at least nothing logical). Right now things with the boy are so much on my mind I can't think of anything else.

3 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...type away, if you care to. I'd rather know what's going on. Sorry to hear about the boy...if that's the case, better to catch things early. I wouldn't mind talking with you about this though. Call anytime, k?

xoxo

Karin

 
At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I'm with you about the labels. (Although I'm cheering for "gifted" right now!)

Thanks for writing about it. We are extremely interested in the good and the not-so-good.

Love, cj

 
At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we are behind you filled with love and prayers ----m & d

 

Post a Comment

<< Home