Sunday, July 16, 2006

The perfect day..

Today just seems to be a perfect day. Rick has today off and we were able to sleep in till 9am (I know that is a miracle) When the kids got up they watched TV for a while until they saw mom and dad start to emerge from hibernation. Then DQ helped me set the table and we had choco chip pancakes with choco whipped cream, eggs and bacon. Then GB helped pick up the table and even helped load the dishwasher. So we have a clean kitchen (another miracle). Next the kids went outside to play (after they made their beds and folded their pjs) and Rick and I sat down and read the paper while having our second cups of coffee. Now Rick is sitting at the piano playing some new music he got for his birthday (Greig and Bach) and I am in my sewing room reupholstering a sectional I got off of freecycle.
Days like today are rare so when we have a "perfect" day I just feel the need to share. It is usually easier to complain about the bad days and not enjoy the "perfect" days because I am waiting for the kids to start acting up. So I wanted to write this while the kids are still being good.
Yesterday was a cleaning up day. DQ's room had gotten so bad, mostly cloths strewn allover. I usually shut the door and ignore it, but it I couldn't even walk in there anymore. My solution: I gave her a list (1-pr jeans, 2 pr shorts, 4 T-shirts, 1 skirt. 1 sweatshirt) and told her to put it all in her suitcase. She kept trying to guess where we were going (insert villainous laughter). Then I put on a movie for the kids so I had 2 hrs of uninterrupted time in her room, and I put all of her cloths in plastic bins and put them in the basement. When she came in her room, she was amazed because it looked so good. I then gave her suitcase and told her if she could take care of those cloths she could start to earn the rest of her cloths back. She was actually pretty happy with everything.

1 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's a really good idea!!!

She may find she doesn't WANT them all back. The happiest laundry days I ever had (LOL) were when we were moving and I packed up everything but *4* sets of clothes per person. It was SO easy to keep our clothes clean, folded, and put away because, well, that's all there was, LOL. Couldn't have 7 loads of laundry piled on the couch, or 2 weeks of dirty (and clean?!) laundry on the floor if you've only got 4 days and one of those is the nice Church clothes! LOL!

Maybe I'll try that with my kids. I've done it with Bionicles and ... so far ... all they've done is bemoan the extended loss of the bionicles, it has not translated to keeping the room clean. I'm running out of things to take away, ha!

I must confess, my "perfect day" does not involve cleaning, though. Clean yes, but cleanING? no.

:) kim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home