Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Rick's quilt


Rick was in the Navy for 9 years, he has been out for almost 4. I kept all of his old uniforms and patches, hats and t-shirts from his time in the Navy with the idea of making him a quilt. Well, I finally did it. I made the quilt for a Father's Day/Birthday present, he will be 32 in a couple of weeks. I started with some t-shirts from Power School and from food service duty aboard his first sub, the USS GATO. Then I took his work uniform shirts (the light blue) and made squares that I sewed patches onto, the denim sashings are from his old work dungarees and the darker blue side borders are from the newer work pants (the navy changed work uniforms the last 2 years of Ricks enlistment). I used an old wool Army blanket of my grandfathers for the batting (the squishy stuff that goes in between the front and back fabrics) and sewed along all the seam lines with my sewing machine to keep everything together. All and all I am pretty happy with how it turned out, and Rick seems to really like it. Mission Accomplished!

1 Comments:

At 12:03 PM, Blogger tracy said...

I am pretty sure that dad's quilt is made out of a wool army blanket, that is actually were I got the idea. Whenever we stay with dad I always scavenger for the "TV quilt" to use, it is the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home